Friday 5 February 2016

Individual Task - Visualizing & Developing Initial Ideas Using Editing Software

Within this post I will present some of my development and experiments of my initial ideas using Ipiccy program and Adobe Photoshop. This task significantly helped me to develop my thoughts and visualise my ideas. 


This is a screenshot demonstrating development process of twigs close up. I started off by cropping the photograph to the size of the front cover, condensing the composition to a specific section. I have then played around with contrast and light exposure in order to reinforce and sharpen the line composition. I have then experimented with colour range, allowing me to reinforce my genre through abstract design as well as vibrant colour scheme. I decided to experiment with pink colour scheme as it's often used within progressive house genre. At the same time the composition strongly reminded me of human veins, creating a link to the fast beat and tempo of progressive house. While the tones of pink significantly reinforce that. I have then applied various textures as an experiment. This also worked quite well after brightening process allowing me to make the composition more subtle. Below I have included my experimental shots with various colour schemes and backgrounds:


In order to reinforce the idea of human veins even further I decided to change the composition into the red range. This worked particularly well on the while background highlighting the detail, rough texture and flow of the twigs. Besides, from that I have contrasted the composition and sharpen it to reinforce the lines. I think this would be successful background for a front or back cover although the composition is quite simplistic. This is something I will consider during my further development. 


Within the next trial I have worked on adding colourful background within the veins. I definitely wanted to create a sense of fade or ombre. This worked quite well slightly fading away the abstract composition which would effectively work with typography on top. 



This is final trial where I made the background much stronger, creating more flat surface. This again could effectively work with the use of typography, however I feel like this composition is too bright and busy. I would definitely develop it by adding a layer of paint which would make the colours less intense in colour. I am less likely to use this particular scheme, however I might develop it as an overlay for typography, allowing the text to stand out even more. I will still consider this decision. 


My next approach to the development of abstract twig design was to overlay it within a shape. I decided to focus it within the heart shape inspired by one of Zedd's album covers. I have particularly chosen a broken down design of a heart as geometrical shapes and patterns are often seen within house genre, for example triangles. In order to add the heart more dimensional and illusionistic I have overlay my photograph of twigs. This worked quite well adding tones and random lines to the heart. I feel like this kind of design would work successfully on a bright, plain background reinforcing the music genre even further. It was work especially well within the front cover along with simplistic typography, while the geometrical breakdown of heart shape or twig design could continuously follow to the back or inside of the digipak. 


My next editorial was focused on the natural maze photograph. My inspiration for this location was based on our music video but also the use of maze in our music genre within artist's such as 'Years&Years'. My only worry about this composition was the lack of height which created limited frame to be captured. I have chosen the best photograph which I have then cropped in order to obtain stronger lines through shadows but also to reinforce the sense of confusion. I started off by manipulating the image by adding experimental light exposure designs. This was effective as it added colour range to the composition at the same time reinforcing rough texture.  I have saved this edit as an image. 

Furthermore, I have experimented with 'pop art' effect which delicately distorted the composition in an abstract way. The use of this effect separated the composition into four sections, while the colour scheme was manipulated randomly. I have then searched for a similar tool which would allow me choose my own colour scheme. I have selected a pink colour range. This worked quite well, reinforcing depth of the maze trough strong highlights and shadows, at the same time strongly reinforcing rough and spiky texture. 


As I discussed in my previous post I decided to move my photographs forward by creating an overlay of my image within typography context. I have selected the maze photograph from the screenshot above which has a strong colour range. This technique can be often seen within progressive house genre, especially on a plain background. I really like the idea of simplicity which at the same time is really effective. Using Photoshop I have experimented with bold font which would emphasise the colour scheme as well as texture of the image. Besides,from that this effect successfully matches the representation of the audience. The colour range significantly reflects their dynamic nature, energy at the same time reflecting fast beat of the progressive house genre. 


Final experiment was based on creating another overlay for the text. This time I have chosen pink version of the maze photograph. I have overlay this within the same font, however two different backgrounds. Within the white background (which is used more within this genre) the font was fading away, the text composition wasn't very expressive, especially comparing to the black background which made the typography bold and clear. This is an element which I will consider during my construction. I could significantly challenge the codes and conventions of this element, however looking back at my current development I feel like the colourful overlay above suits the genre and the audience the most. I will re-ensure my decisions through a spoken questionnaire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment